What I'm cooking and eating

22 August 2021

Healthy ice cream, aka frozen smoothie

I found this recipe when I first went on-line, over 25 years ago now.  I hadn't made it for ages, but we had some slightly over-ripe strawberries that weren't going to survive in the fridge and needed frozen, so.....


1 banana, sliced and frozen (open-freeze on a plate so the chunks don't stick together)
1/2 punnet ripe strawberries, frozen (or you could use pre-frozen strawberries)
1 standard tub, or 2 tbs thick Greek yoghurt
2 tsp honey (optional)
I found I'd too much yoghurt to fruit, so added some frozen raspberries.


Exact quantities are not important, nor, indeed, is the kind of fruit other than bananas!  I've also used fruit juice instead of yoghurt and honey (useful if you want it vegan) - you can always omit the honey if you prefer, too, but it does add a bit of sweetness that is necessary in a frozen dessert.  You could also use a fruit  yoghurt instead.... experiment!


Put everything in a food processor - a blender isn't sturdy enough - and work until it comes out as really smooth and delicious ice-cream.

If there is more than you want to eat in one sitting, put it in a freezer-proof container and put in the freezer.  It will freeze rather hard, but you can take it out of the freezer a little before you want to eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment