What I'm cooking and eating

03 July 2022

Not quite....

This was not quite a croque-monsieur and not quite a Welsh rabbit!  I don't know what to call it, but it was very good except that the sauce had too much mustard in it for my taste!  Also, I didn't really measure....

Large handful grated cheddar (50-100 grammes)
Dollop of butter (25 g?)
2 tsp plain flour (again, this was a dollop, as it was the end of my little jar I decant it into)
1 tsp Dijon mustard (N.B. this was too much for my taste; if I do this again, it will be half the amount)
1 tbs white wine (or beer, but we had none in the fridge)
1 tsp Worcester sauce
About 25 grinds of black pepper

4 slices sourdough bread (or ordinary bread)
2 cooked sausages, sliced lengthwise
Extra grated cheese, for sprinkling
Lettuce and tomato to garnish

Grill the bread on one side only.  Put the first 7 ingredients into a saucepan and cook, stirring all the time, until it is pretty much boiling, the cheese has melted and the mixture comes away from the sides of the pan.

Spread two of the slices of toast on the untoasted side with a small amount of the sauce, and then stick the sausages on it.  Top with the other slices, toasted side down, and cover them with the rest of the sauce.  Sprinkle with grated cheese, and put under the grill again until it melts.  Serve with a side salad.



1 comment: