What I'm cooking and eating

25 November 2022

Inspired by Five Guys veggie cheese sandwich

 


The Five Guys veggie cheese sandwich is one of the best vegetarian (or vegan, you can have it without the cheese) options that I've ever had at a burger bar.  Their burgers are okay, but this - basically, all the toppings without the burger - is delicious.  Anyway, Becca at Easy Cheesy Vegetarian has a recipe for a copycat version, and I thought I would make it this evening, but I didn't have any burger buns, so I thought I would put it on a jacket potato.  And then I added some extra veggies.....

Butter
Olive oil
2 medium/large potatoes
1 medium onion
1 yellow pepper
Chunk of butternut squash
1/2 punnet mushrooms
1/2 medium (or 1 small) courgette
Chunk butternut squash
1 chilli pepper
Squoosh of garlic paste, or a couple of cloves of crushed garlic
2 spoonfuls Greek yoghurt (or butter, or non-dairy spread)
2-3 slices cracked black pepper cheese (or Mexican, or grated cheese, or whatever), omit if vegan



Rub the potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt - rosemary salt is brilliant if you have any.  Stick a skewer in them, and cook at mark 6 for about an hour.  Or pierce several times and microwave for about 10-12 minutes, but you won't get the crispy skin that way.

While the potatoes are cooking, chop the vegetables (peeling the onion and the squash), and place in a pan with a knob of butter and the olive oil.

 Cook on a medium/low heat for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Season with herbal salt.


When cooked, open the potatoes and add the yoghurt, butter, or whatever you are using.  Pile the vegetables on top, and top with the cheese.  I love that stuff, but do find it sticks together rather, so I ended up tearing it roughly.  


It was delicious, and I am full!

1 comment:

  1. Double thanks for this!
    Firstly for the recipe, which sounds and looks fab; but secondly for the intelligence report on those "Five Guys" places.
    I've seen them around but I've never gone in because I assumed they only served hamburgers, and I'm a vegetarian.
    I shall venture into one at the next opportunity!

    ReplyDelete